The project “Strengthening of the institutional capacities of the State Authority for Geodetic Works 2005 – 2008” was financed by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and is implemented in the Agency for real estate cadastre in the period from August 2005 till September 2009 (stage 1).
With the objective to provide continuity in the execution of its activities related with the implementation of the significant reform steps, the Agency for Real Estate Cadastre has been granted an approval by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) for financing a bridging period of 9 months, in the amount of SEK 5.000.000, for the period from January-September 2009.
The objective of the continuation of this project is transferring the activities initiated with the Project “Strengthening of the institutional capacities of the State Authority for Geodetic Works 2005 – 2008, (stage 1) and the new project, “Strengthening of the capacities of AREC in the implementation of the strategic-business plan 2009-2012” (stage 2), planned to start in October 2009.
The amount of the donation for the project “Strengthening of the institutional capacities of the State Authority for Geodetic Works 2005 – 2008” was SEK 27.000.000, and the implementation of the project was executed by the consultant company Swedesurvey AB.
The project represents part of an overall effort of SAGW (now AREC) in the development of a unified real estate cadastre and a functional registration real estate system in Republic of Macedonia.
1. Objectives and results from the SIDA grant
1.1.Project tasks and objectives
The objective of the project “Strengthening of the institutional capacities of the State Authority for Geodetic Works 2005 – 2008”, financed by SIDA was: the establishment of permanent training center within the SAGW, providing international and local training for improving all aspects of the management and the performance of the cadastre and the registration of the real estate rights.
The project was envisioned to provide additional support to the institution in development of the capacities in the area of public relations and support in establishment of IT unit within the former SAGW, assisting the introduction of new information models of IT management of geospatial data administration.
The expected project outcomes were:
- Fully equipped and staffed operational training center within the SAGW which will continually convey trainings;
- Training courses such as:
- Project management,
- Management strategies for the senior management staff,
- Office management and quality control for the junior management staff,
- Automated cadastre and registration,
- Establishment of a public relations unit, for informing and performance, for the 2nd and the 3rd year;
- Establishment of a team for management of the IT system and for development during the entire course of the project;
- Technical assistance in the managment of the Real Estate Cadastre and Registration Project, financed by the World Bank.
2. Project activities for the SIDA grant
A training center has been established in the headquarters of the AREC, equipped with the necessary equipment for training, projectors and other visual aid, as well as geodetic instruments in service of the practical training of the employees, total stations and GPS units. The trainings for the staff were conducted via the development of a training program, encompassing the following modules:
- Module 1 – Introduction in land administration.
- Module 2 – Land management as business.
- Module 3 – World Bank Real Estate Cadastre and Registration Project.
- Module 4 – Basic use of personal computers.
- Module 5 – Rights and values of the real estate.
- Module 6 – Registration procedures.
- Module 7 – Survey and establishment of cadastre.
- Module 8 – GIS.
- Module 9 – Adjudication of ownership right and establishment of REC.
- Module 10 – Database management.
- Programming – practical work.
- Module 11 – System administration.
- Module 12 – Photogrammetry and digital cartography.
In the process of establishment of the real estate cadastre, the SIDA project has actively participated through supporting the public adjudication commissions in their training and re-training. The trainings were conducted by project trainers (lawyer/surveyor) during 2006. During 2007/08, part of the experienced lawyers and surveyors from AREC passed the train the trainers’ course.
During the period between 2005 and 2009, the SIDA project supported the organization in organizing trainings for its employees in the area of project management, leadership, financial management, marketing and business planning. The SIDA project organized front desk training for front desk officers, improving the communication skills.
The AREC staff underwent trainings in the following areas:
- Improvement of the capacity for management and organizing the functions and the work flow of the human, technical and financial resources,
- Improvement of the management capacity of the Project Management Unit within the Real Estate Cadastre and Registration Project,
- More efficient use of the new technologies for cadastre systems as the Global positioning system (GPS), digital photogrametry and total stations as well as modern information and communication technology,
- Training for legal issues related to the creation, registration and transfer of the real estate rights and administrative issues,
- Development, implementation and maintenance of the registration procedures and real estate data management systems and land administration,
- Assisting the private surveyors in the establishment and management of their private geodetic companies.
During 2008, the SIDA Project supported the former State Authority for Geodetic Works and the present Agency for Real Estate Cadastre (hereinafter referred as the AREC) in the preparation of the new legislation i.e. the new Law on Real Estate Cadastre. The support referred to the engagement of local experts in the area of law and geodesy, which assisted in drafting the Law and the basic organizational acts.
The SIDA project supported the Institution in the process of establishing an IT unit, recruitment of IT staff that will be trained to follow the latest IT technologies and which will support AREC during the implementation of a new registration real estate system that will support the management of the geo-spatial and the real estate data.
The project supported the development of a professional interactive web cadastre page. The web page was publicly presented for the first time on 07 February, 2007.
The Project also assisted the institution in developing the cadastre web service for insight into the data from the Property List, internet service – display of topographic maps and the aerial photo images on the cadastre web page, which enables insight into the topographic maps in scale 1: 1.000.000 up to 1:25 000 and ortho-photo maps for the entire state in scale 1:25 000; software for editing of digital cadastre maps – MakEdit which has all the necessary functionalities for editing the DCM, which is a condition for regular updating of the digital maps which are under development.
In 2007, the Project has supported the Institution in the preparation of Strategic Documents i.e. preparation of three strategic documents such as: the Strategic Business Plan, the ICT Strategy (which is already prepared), the HR Strategy and the Finance and Marketing Strategy. In 2008, all 3 documents were revised and AREC prepared a single AREC Strategic business plan 2009-2012.
The Project supported the Institution in the process of establishing a network of active GNSS stations. This process was initiated on 01.09.2007. At the moment, the stations cover 100% of the territory of R. Macedonia.
The project progress was followed via Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Progress Reports, which are available on this web page. The project implementation was implemented with mutual collaboration of the AREC staff and the SIDA project unit.
- Detailed information about the project (.pdf, 33KB)
- Action Plan – SAGW-final (.pdf, 77KB)
- Activity_plan_timetable_july-dec2007_NEW (.pdf, 45KB)
- Annual_Report_2006_Ver_1 0 (.pdf, 395KB)
- PROGRESS REPORT APRIL-MAJ 2007_FINAL (.doc, 4255KB)
- ProgressReport_JanMarch 2007 (.pdf, 1787KB)
- SAGW IT Strategy (final)TRK (.pdf, 403KB)
- Technical Assistance to Support Capacity Building (.pdf, 795KB)
- Timetable_local_training_2007_mod_june30 (.pdf, 36KB)
- WORKPLAN_2007_detailed_NEW (.doc, 2510KB)
- Extensions of sida project 2009 (.pdf, 65KB)
- Final report (.pdf, 538KB)